- This event has passed.
The Great Caper…Calling all Buccaneers!
March 29, 2014
Tampa’s pirate revelry continues during this self-guided urban scavenger hunt! Start the adventure in our museum galleries before plundering the downtown waterfront. Encounter real pirates while you explore the Riverwalk in search of the historic ship Nao Victoria, clues, treasure, and more. Climb aboard the TECO Streetcar while talking like a pirate and using navigational skills to uncover mysteries behind the real pirates of Florida’s waters.
Return to the History Center for pirate’s booty, fantastic raffle prizes, and a costume contest, if ye be bold enough. Arg!
Prove you’re a salty dog and enter our prize raffle by completing as much of the course as you can. You set the pace. A separate prize category is available for those scallywags entering our pirate costume or Instagram contest. Treasure from such sponsors as the Columbia Restaurant, Florida Aquarium, American Victory Ship, and more are up for grabs!
While you must check in by 11 a.m., spend only a couple of hours or explore until prizes are announced at 3:00. You make the call.
10:00 – 11:00 Check In (History Center—TECO hall) Pick up your clues, map, and streetcar tickets (included in your program fee). Doors open at 10:00 a.m.
Begin Caper! Recommended: Start with a treasure hunt in our hands-on galleries, including our newest exhibit, Charting the Land of Flowers: 500 Years of Florida Maps.
11:00 – 2:30 Anchors Aweigh! Walk or ride the TECO line Streetcar system which begins running at 11:00 a.m. and sets sail every 15-20 minutes. Hop on and off through the Channelside District, and explore the Riverwalk in search of real pirates, the historic ship Nao Victoria, clues, treasure, and more. You’ll snap pictures, complete “dares” and even stop and get a bite to eat along the way.
2:00 – 3:00 (TECO hall) Arrive back at the Tampa Bay History Center for prizes and crafts for all ages. Costume contest and raffle will be announced at 3:00. Should you complete the Caper early, return to TBHC to explore our galleries (Included in your program fee), pick up a souvenir from the museum store, or dine at the waterfront Columbia Cafe. Pirate crafts will be available as early as 2:00.
3:00 – 3:30 (TECO Hall) Costume Contest, Instagram contest, and raffle winners announced. All scallywags who complete the Great Caper are automatically entered into the raffle.
TICKETS WILL BE AVAILABLE AT THE DOOR
- Smart phone with GPS and internet access (optional) to read QR codes and clues along the route.
- Camera for photo proof that you’ve uncovered each landmark or item at the various stops. Comfortable shoes. At each stop you’ll walk no more than a few blocks.
- Drinks and snacks, though there are many establishments along the route that will be happy to sell these to you (including our own Columbia Café!)
- Parking: You may dock your vessel at the St. Pete Times Forum Blue Lot next to the History Center for free. Simply pick up your parking token at our visitor services desk. NOTE: One parking token provided per group. If the Blue lot is full, other options that require payment are the Channelside parking garages, various downtown surface lots, and downtown street parking.
- Click here for directions.
- Restrooms along the route will be marked on the map you will receive upon sign in at the Tampa Bay History Center.