Our collection includes artifacts, paintings, textiles, utilitarian ceramics, postcards, documents, ephemera and furniture with a relevance to Florida and specifically to our regional area. For more information or to donate an artifact please visit our collections page.
Collection of Robert Trask Mann (1924-2002)
Member of the Florida House of Representatives (D), 1956-1968
Judge, Second District Court of Appeals, 1968-1974
Donated by Elizabeth Mann (wife)
- Certificate appointing Robert Mann to rank of Second Lieutenant , Military Intelligence, United States Army Reserves, ca. 1948.
- Signed photograph of Florida Gov. Claude Kirk, Jr., sent to Robert Mann in appreciation for agreeing to serve on the Governor’s Commission for Quality Education, February 1968.
- Certificate appointing Robert Mann as the Honorary House Speaker of Ybor City Congress, October 1964
- Bumper sticker from Robert Mann’s campaign for the District 10 seat in Congress, ca. 1962.
- Robert Mann on opening day of the legislative session with Rep. James Moody and Rep. Sam Gibbons, Tallahassee, Florida, ca. late 1950s
- Robert Mann at his desk on the floor of the Florida state legislature, ca. late 1950s.
- Photograph of Robert T. Mann, ca. 1961
- Program from dinner featuring Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, August 1965
- Letter extending invitation to dinner with Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey from Congressman Sam Gibbons to Robert Mann, August 1965
- Metal license plate given to members of the Florida state legislature, ca. 1967
Collection of Lamar Sparkman (1922-2010)
Artist/Cartoonist for the Tampa Times and Tampa Tribune
Donated by the Family of Lamar Sparkman
- Original hand-drawn “Buc Bomber” cartoon corresponding to pre-season game between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Houston Oilers, August 1982.
- Original hand-drawn cartoon commenting on the end of the Tampa Bay Rowdies’ season, August 1982.
- Original hand-drawn cartoon promoting Florida Special Olympics fundraiser, June 1978
- Original hand-drawn cartoon previewing the Florida Gators game against the Miami Hurricanes, November 1980.
- Original hand-drawn cartoon commenting on the 1979 World Series between Baltimore and Pittsburgh, October 1979.
- Original hand-drawn cartoon depicting the struggle for the number one ranking in college football between Alabama, Oklahoma, and the University of Southern California, ca. 1979.
- Color illustration of long-time Tampa resident and horse racing enthusiast George M. Steinbrenner III, ca. 1980s.
- Color illustration of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ sideline at Tampa Stadium, ca. early 1980s.
Arthur-Turbeville Cigar Collection
Thomas Arthur, former co-owner, Hav-A-Tampa
Michael Turbeville, Cigar memorabilia collector
Donated by Thomas Arthur and Michael Turbeville
- Metal counter-top cigar-tip cutter, O’Halloran Cigar Co., Victor Hugo Pat. Aug. 7, 1906.
- Florida State Fair and Gasparilla souvenir Tampa Nugget cigar box, ca. 1942.
- Garcia Lopez y Ca. cigar band printing plate.
- Tampa Nugget sublimes (Factory No. 174) cigar box.
- Tampa Guide straights (Factory No. 174) cigar tin.
- Wood tobacco roller board with metal cutter attachment.
- Preston Cigar Company “Tampa Life” cigar label.
- El Principe de Gales (Prince of Wales) Havana Cigars matted lithograph poster.
Collection of Elvin L. Martinez, Sr. (1934-)
Member of the Florida House of Representatives 1966-1974, 1978-1997
Retired Hillsborough County Judge
Donated by Viann Guzman (daughter)
- Color portrait of Democratic State House Representative from Hillsborough County, Elvin L. Martinez, ca. 1976
- Rep. Elvin L. Martinez with Rosalynn Carter during a presidential campaign visit to Tampa, ca. 1976
- Rep. Elvin L. Martinez shaking hands with President Bill Clinton following his address to a joint session of the Florida Legislature, Tallahassee, Florida, March 30, 1995.
- Rep. Elvin Martinez re-election bumper sticker, ca. 1970s
- Rep. Elvin Martinez re-election campaign brochure, ca. 1980s
- “The Clerk’s Manual: House of Representatives and the Senate, 1968-1970,” used by Rep. Elvin Martinez
- Campaign button from Elvin Martinez’s campaign for State Senate, ca. 1976
- Wooden nameplate for Rep. Elvin Martinez made by a Florida Department of Corrections inmate in a prison vocational course, ca. early 1990s.
If you have a photograph, postcard, or other photographic image that depicts any facet of this region’s history, please contact our Saunders Foundation Curator of History, Rodney Kite-Powell, at email@example.com