The History Center is looking for energetic and committed volunteers to help create a great experience for visitors or provide much needed behind-the-scenes support. By contributing your time you can learn new skills, work with motivated people who share common interests, and help visitors of all ages connect with the past. If you have an interest in history and want to share your enthusiasm and talents, we encourage you to apply to become a volunteer.
Note: Docent positions for fall 2014 are full. Please check back in January 2015 for spring availability.
History Adventure Summer Camp volunteer positions for 2014 are now full. Check back in the spring of 2015 to apply for future camps. Applications for special events are accepted year-round.
We accept new volunteers three times a year (January, May, & September) and volunteers must be available at least one day per week (Monday – Friday) from 10am–1pm or 2-5pm. There are a limited number of college internships available which are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. For more information, contact Malerie Dorman, Collections Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or at 813-228-0097 ext. 8978.
Special Project Opportunities
There are a number of ongoing specialized projects in the TBHC collections department. Current needs include those with an interest or experience in:
- Architecture for processing of Tampa area historical blueprints
- Cartography for exhibit development and general research
- Cigar Culture for exhibit development and general research
- Creative Writing for creation of blog content
- Economics/Business for processing historical records such as ledgers
- Editing/Reading for organizing, abstracting, transcribing and indexing old documents
- Fashion for working with historical textiles including a large Native American collection
- Florida Studies for research on a developing exhibit
- Literature for processing books and other media
- Logistics for collections inventory and storage overhaul
- Native American Life for historical research and object processing
- Photography for updating images of old records and processing of Cirkut negatives
- Research for solving identification mysteries
- Technical Writing for updating descriptions of old records
To join our volunteer team, we ask that you meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 15 years of age.
- Submit a volunteer application.
- Complete an interview and orientation.
- Pay a one-time enrollment fee of $40, which covers a mandatory criminal background screening.
After joining the team, volunteers must participate in required training sessions, which vary by department. Once training is completed, volunteers must serve at least 6 hours per month to maintain active status.
In addition to the personal and social rewards of volunteering, History Center volunteers enjoy numerous benefits including free parking while volunteering, on-going learning opportunities, appreciation events and program discounts.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out the volunteer application at the link below. After you submit your application, a TBHC staff member will contact you to arrange for an interview. For more information, contact Julie Matus, Curator of Education, at email@example.com or 813-675-8981.