The History Center is looking for energetic and committed volunteers to help create a great experience for visitors or provide much needed behind-the-scenes support. Volunteers learn new skills, work with motivated people who share common interests, and help visitors of all ages connect with the past. If you have an interest in history and want to share your enthusiasm and talents, we encourage you to apply to become a volunteer.
Volunteering at the History Center provides students with a unique opportunity to learn what happens “behind-the-scenes” at a museum, make new friends, and to gain valuable experience in a work setting.
Teen volunteers should be self-motivated, responsible, energetic and upbeat. Positions are limited and are not guaranteed. Applications for special events are accepted year-round.
1. Click on the “How to Apply” tab above to submit your volunteer application. Applications and subsequent correspondence must be completed by the teen applying rather than a parent or guardian.
2. Teens must also submit a recommendation letter from a non-relative adult. Teachers, mentors, employers, etc. are all accepted. Recommendation letters should be sent to Jessie Liss-Noda, Youth and Family Programs Coordinator, at email@example.com
We accept new volunteers three times a year (January, May, & September) and volunteers must be available at least one day per week (Monday – Friday) from 10am–1pm or 2-5pm. There are a limited number of college internships available which are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. For more information, contact Sarah Grant, Assistant Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Project Opportunities
There are a number of ongoing specialized projects in the TBHC collections department. Current needs include those with an interest or experience in:
- Architecture for processing of Tampa area historical blueprints
- Cartography for exhibit development and general research
- Cigar Culture for exhibit development and general research
- Creative Writing for creation of blog content
- Economics/Business for processing historical records such as ledgers
- Editing/Reading for organizing, abstracting, transcribing and indexing old documents
- Fashion for working with historical textiles including a large Native American collection
- Florida Studies for research on a developing exhibit
- Literature for processing books and other media
- Logistics for collections inventory and storage overhaul
- Native American Life for historical research and object processing
- Photography for updating images of old records and processing of Cirkut negatives
- Research for solving identification mysteries
- Technical Writing for updating descriptions of old records
To join our volunteer team, we ask that you meet the following requirements:
- Be at least 15 years of age. (Teens must submit a letter of recommendation)
- Submit a volunteer application.
- Complete an interview and orientation.
- Pay a one-time enrollment fee of $40, which covers a mandatory criminal background screening. (Camp counselors must instead complete a DCF mandated, fingerprint-required background check for approximately $45.)
After joining the team, volunteers must participate in required training sessions, which vary by department. Once training is completed, volunteers must serve at least 6 hours per month to maintain active status.
In addition to the personal and social rewards of volunteering, History Center volunteers enjoy numerous benefits including free parking while volunteering, on-going learning opportunities, appreciation events and program discounts.
HOW TO APPLY
Fill out the volunteer application at the link below. After you submit your application, a TBHC staff member will contact you to arrange for an interview. For general volunteer information and for adult volunteers, contact Nancy Dalence, Curator of Education, at email@example.com or 813-675-8981.
For all teen volunteer and Teen Council information, contact Jessie Liss-Noda, Youth and Family Programs Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 813-675-8987.